.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Menu Plan: January 15 -21

Although we are still in the Christmas season, there are no major feasts or fasts for a while, and we are effectively in more ordinary time right now. I forgot to mention that it was Autumn's birthday this past week, and we got to start off our birthday season with her. They came over for the night and we were able to have some Amelia time, too. Rich commented that Autumn was born in the winter, but her name was Autumn, but then, I had a friend when I was a kid whose name was Spring, and her birthday was in January, also. Anyway, we got to stay up way too late (for us, and for Rich and Alexander, specifically, because they had work the next morning) talking and really having a great time. It was wonderful. Today is their anniversary, and it is a great joy. We are so glad that our family has grown like this.

The onion burgers we made last week were real winners, and pretty simple to do. They were Depression era food, which used a lot of onions to a little burger, but it was still a pretty generously sized, one, I think. The onions season the meat, and they are crisp on the edges, and delicious. We did use smoked cheddar, rather than the American cheese most recipes I found called for, and I used some bicentennial seasoning in the meat, rather than just salt and pepper. My technique needs a little work, but it was really tasty, and we would eat them again. The do nothing cake did, in fact, require us to do something, and it was alright, but nothing I would rave about or make again. It was sweet and cakey and that was basically it.

Our schedule last week was a little weird because of dance, and I had forgotten to take that into account when planning, so we have some repeats this week. Also, we had a lot of leftovers because now we have two of our kids out of the home, so it feels like it did when Alexander first moved. I'm making less, but not enough less. On the other hand, it is super weird to make food for eight, or fewer, and have leftovers. We might get so that we make close to a "normal" amount of food at our house!

We're trying to cook out of our freezers and pantry even more than normal, because we want to save money and make room for a couple lambs, hogs, and maybe even another steer. My plan has been only to buy dairy and produce, and things we have run out of, and maybe some really great mark down deals. Well, this week, we almost ran out of white sugar! This has never happened before, or at least not in a really long time. So, we are being creative, because I am determined not to make extra shopping trips. We should get an Azure Standard delivery on Tuesday, so we will be set. In the interim, I am using brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, molasses, cane syrup, date syrup, and other sweeteners, and choosing recipes and dishes that don't require white sugar. This does mean that I ended up substituting brown sugar for white in our cardamom, orange and dark chocolate cookies, but I honestly thought it was an improvement.

The price of eggs is going up, but not as much here in our town as it seems to be in other towns. We are super grateful for our hens and ducks right now. Also, that even when they aren't laying all that well, what with the darkness and cold, that we know other people with chickens from whom to get or buy eggs which are still a normal price. God takes care of us even in the littlest ways, and we are so humbled by Him. Tangentially, I tried out Misfits Markets (that's a referral link for me) for the first time this week. They offered me a couple half off coupons, so I thought it was worth trying it. We ordered two bunches of chard, two pounds ofsummer squash, three pounds hake fish and one and a half pounds of gulf shrimp, plus a two pack of organic pumpkin purée, all for $32.18, including the shipping to our home. I will let you know how we like the service. There is no commitment to use it each week, so if we like it enough, I may add it to my ways of shopping for the family. If not, we don't have to use it again.

Dominic is settling in at school and we miss him, but he is growing in so many ways, and we ask for you to keep him in your prayers. He's had a couple things go a little sideways, as is to be expected for his first time out on his own, but those can be frustrating. It will be a long six months until we see him again.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?