.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, September 10, 2022

Recipe Round Up: Meatloaf

Meatloaf is one of the few truly "American" foods that I like and make. Obviously, I make American food, but this is one that seems more American than the rest. In my opinion, it's pretty near impossible to ruin meatloaf, but according to Rich, there are bad meatloaves out there. In any case, this is how I make it. It is not a strict recipe, I change things around based on what we have, but this is the general guideline I use. Since the price of veal has gone up so much, it is rare that I use it now, and when I cannot, I use two parts beef to one part pork. Sometimes I use Italian sausage in place of the pork. If someone who is eating with us cannot eat pork, I leave it out and use all beef or half beef and veal. Use what you like. Since Jerome still cannot have wheat, or anything including gluten or gliadin, we used crushed gluten free crackers in place of the Panko. Occasionally, I have used grated potato in place of the Panko. It is best to sauté the onion and garlic before you mix them in, but in a pinch, I will mix them in raw. We like the crusty edges of meatloaf, so I make freeform loaves, but if you like them in a loaf pan, use those.

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground veal
1 pound ground pork
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups Panko or dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1 bunch parsley, finely minced
1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375˚F. Set aside a jelly roll pan or another baking sheet with rims.

Mix beef, veal, pork, eggs, Panko, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, horseradish and parsley in a large bowl.

Sauté onions over medium high heat until softened. Add minced garlic and cook one minute more.

Add sautéed onions and garlic to meat mixture, along with dried thyme, salt and pepper.

Divide meat mixure in half, and shape into two ovals on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until cooked through and browned. Allow to rest about 10 - 15 minutes before slicing to serve.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?