.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, August 17, 2015

Menu Plan: August 16 - 22


It is fair week! And we are slammed! This menu plan is mostly a guideline, because who knows what will happen while we are working our neighborhood ice cream booth at the fair? I have three recipes to post, and a post I've been meaning to finish for over a month, a randomania post, and another post planned for next month about the book with Saint Catherine in it. But I am doubtful that those will happen before Sunday. Oh, and it is Jerome's birthday this week, too, so we're busy with things for him as well. He turned three the year we moved here and now he is nine! I'm going to work hard to get my yarn along post done, because I want to brag share if I have ribbons at the fair.

We're getting Alexander ready for his college classes this fall. There are two things left to do, one is easier than the other. The first requires dealing with the government school district, which can be antagonistic to homeschoolers. So, we'd appreciate prayers there. The other is just paying the fees, which are lower than I expected them to be, actually. Alexander is already registered for his classes, has his student ID, and is excited to get started. We do not want a bureaucrat, who thinks she has the authority of our son's education, to mar that in any way. So, I'm going in with his transcript (which covers nearly three quarters of the credits required to graduate from high school already, even though he is only a junior this fall), a big smile, nice clothes and makeup, and just saying that "We understand that we need a letter from the high school counselor or principal to complete the process for his admittance to the college. Here is his transcript, we are not seeking a diploma from the high school. Thank you!" We'll see how it goes.

On top of all of this, we gleaned a ton of corn, so have been blanching, cutting, and freezing corn forever, plus wrapping entire ears for freezing, plus eating a ton of it. We served some for our fair food night tonight, too. Our friends brought coleslaw and watermelon and Rich and I fried things for a long time. Loads of food and loads of fun. We had 22 people here, including our family - and that was only three families! One of these families raises pigs for 4-H, and they are giving us a pig to clear some of our weeds in the garden and pasture and fatten up for butchering in October or so. Our kids have already named him Sir Francis Bacon. Rich, Alexander and Dominic have been very busy building fencing, a shed, and a gate for the pig. We already have a watering trough and feeder.

The smoke is pretty bad still, and Washington and Idaho are mostly on fire. We are still safe, but the smoke is really a challenge. I feel bad saying that when there are people whose homes and businesses have been lost or at risk, but breathing is hard for all of us just with the smoke. We wake up to a fine layer of ash on everything each morning. I feel like my eyes have been red since the end of June.

Below, I include our daily Bible readings which we use to read through the entire Bible each year. We read through all of the Old Testament and New Testament, reading the Psalms and Proverbs twice. Remember that the Psalms are according to eastern numbering in our daily Bible reading, also I Kings is the original designation, it is I Samuel in western Bibles (II Kings is II Samuel in the west, III Kings is I Kings, and IV Kings is II Kings, I Ezra is also called I Esdras in other translations, II Ezra is often translated as Ezra or II Esdras).

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?