.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, September 01, 2008

Menu Plan Monday: Labor Day


We have a repeat this week, because we had so much leftover by Sunday that we had a rerun buffet. It was also nice to have a break from cooking, since we had a busy weekend with our Bishop visiting, as well as the man who may become our priest permanently, God willing. We were very impressed by his credentials and reputation, and he was a genial, intelligent and good humored man who was very able to mix in with us and another family from church. He seemed quite at ease when we had them over Saturday. He gave the sermon at mass, which was thought provoking, showed a great spiritual depth, providing guidance as well as a greater understanding of the lectionary readings of the day. He is excited at the possibility of serving us here, but is very much relying on the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the leading of his (our) bishop. So, now we have to pray for God's will, whatever that may be, even though we want His will to be that He sends this man to us!

Rich was also installed as a lay eucharistic minister and licensed to administer reserved sacrament. Generally this means for the sick who can't get to church or those in the hospital, but this will also enable us to have the eucharist even if we have a deacon's mass, should the army chaplain who is pinch hitting for our congregation be unable to serve on a particular Sunday during the interim before we have a permanent priest again. It also means that if and when Rich becomes a deacon, he can offer the eucharist to our church on a Sunday if our priest has to be gone, even when there is no supply priest to say the mass. This is a first step for Rich on his path to the diaconate. So, today, he was vested and seated behind the altar, and a couple of people from the parish helped me with Jerome while I had Yasmina. The bishop had the chaplain offer the bread and Rich offer the wine, which was amazing. This is such a privilege, it is weighty also and the honor and responsibility of it is humbling. Please continue to pray for Rich and for our family as we grow into this new responsibility and office.

After the eucharist, the bishop prayed over and annointed with oil those who wished it. When I came up with Yasmina, he made a comment about a perfect mother. I couldn't help it, I laughed out loud. He prayed for me and Yasmina, then he prayed for our whole family together. Again, he mentioned my mothering, and said he could see me writing a book on parenting, how not to be a smother mother. I laughed again. He told me not to be disrespectful to my bishop. I said I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I just was thinking of how poorly and imperfectly I do my job so often. It's nice to think I have people fooled, though. The children seem happy and healthy enough, so I don't think I'm doing too bad a job, but we won't know until they are grown up, and maybe not until after that.

So, here is our menu for the week. It's our first week of school, so I have a lot of easy to put together and crock pot meals until the weekend.

If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can.
What is on your menu this week?

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Your menu sounds yummy! Have a wonderful week. :)
 
Forget the parenting book - you should write a cookbook! I love reading about your cooking adventures and menu planning!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?