Monday, August 18, 2008
Menu Plan Monday: August 18
Happy Birthday to Jerome! Happy Birthday to Jerome! Happy Birthday Dear Jerome! Happy Birthday to Jerome!
Today is Jerome's second birthday. He had no preferences for his birthday meal, so I am making something I think he will like well and that is relatively easy to eat.
Two Great Things About Jerome
1. His delight and joy, which are contagious.
2. His good manners. It always surprises and pleases people to hear him ask for something pease or say scusing or thank you much.
We did have a meal given to us last week, and had a, well, not unexpected, but forgotten visit from a priest who was in the area. For some reason, I thought he was coming this week, instead of last week. So, there are some repeats for both this week and next week in the works.
- Monday: Cuban Chicken Salad, Grilled Corn on the Cob & Eclairs for Birthday Dessert
- Tuesday: Spicy Sauteed Chickpeas, Beef & Cilantro(except I'm not using the Spike, and will be cooking onions and garlic with the meat, maybe adding a little broth), Rice, Salad
- Wednesday: Herbed Eggs Baked in Tomato Shells, Garlic-Butter Pasta, Mixed Greens with Caesar Dressing, Blueberry Shortcake (Picnic at Blueberry Park)
- Thursday: Crockpot Indonesian Chicken (with red pepper flakes, lime juice and lime wedges on the side, not sure about the honey/sugar, I'll taste to see if it needs it), White Rice, Sesame Stir-Fried Green Beans (we are trying again this week)
- Friday: Vegetable Jalfrezi, Cous Cous, Sliced Figs
- Saturday: Crockpot Gyros, Veggies, Olives & Flatbread
- Sunday: Italian Beef Sandwiches on Olive Oil Bread with Peppers and Onions
4 pounds Beef Round Roast
Freshly Ground Pepper
1 cup beef broth
7 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
Season beef roast liberally with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown the beef on all sides in the olive oil over medium high heat.
Place roast in large crockpot with whole, peeled garlic cloves all around the meat. Deglaze the skillet with the beef broth, scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle the oregano, basil, pepper flakes, salt and granulated garlic over the meat. Pour the liquid and all the bits from the skillet over the meat. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Put the crock in the refrigerator overnight.
To serve: Slice meat thinly and heat in the defatted broth in a pan on the stove. Pile on crusty rolls with sauteed onions and peppers and pass the broth to dip the sandwiches.
What is on your menu this week?
I'm going to bookmark that jalfreezi recipe, it looks tasty.
This week, I know I'm going to make broccoli & cheese quiche (both the eggs and the cheese are getting ahead of me, so I think this is a great solution) and a pasta with summer squash.
Happy Birthday to Jerome!!