.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Menu Plan: June 25 - July 1

We are in ordinary time. This is not the same as boring or plain time, it is the time that follows in order. It is daily time. It is where most of Christianity is lived. Not in the fasts and feasts, though we still have the pattern of them in each week, but in the quotidian. It is here that we are tested, and here that we are proved.

It seems fitting that we are now finished with most of our excitement for the summer and will be living our lives at work and home in the daily tasks of our necessities. Perhaps I am philophizing too much. However, it does seem to signify a little.

Since Rich and I love Croatia so much, I planned a Croatian dinner in honor of her Independence Day today. It was supposed to be a more elaborate meal, but I always underestimate how tired I will be after recital weekend, so I scaled back. Fortunately, a lady from church is making a salad, and we have cookies left over from the recital bake sale to share for dessert. We had a small trip planned early this week, but, thank God, it was cancelled. It has been so busy and exhausting lately, that even though it would have been fun to take the trip, I am a bit relieved. Except for a short trip with some of the kids, and Independence Day, we actually don't have a lot of excitement planned for the summer, and I am glad of it. We can rest, read and enjoy the summer without running around all the time. There is only one thing we are missing that we will actually miss, but it was kind of unavoidable.

It is heating up again, so we are doing as little with the oven and as much with the grill and with cold meals as possible this week. Most things that need the oven will be done earlier in the day, and we are making good use of slow and pressure cookers. Because we have a little time on our hands, I am going to try to turn some of the cherry juice in our freezer into cherry jelly. That way, we clear some room in the freezer, and make something delicious for the fall and winter. If I have enough of the juice, I might make some cherry syrup for waffles and pancakes, too. Our red currants are starting to ripen, so I am thinking about making red currant jelly, also. Our stock bags are really full, but I'm waiting a bit to see if the weather cools down again at all before making more stock. If not, I will use the pressure cooker.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?