.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Menu Plan: Third Sunday of Advent - Gaudete (Joy Sunday)

Rejoice! And again, I say, rejoice! This is our little break in the darkness as we prepare for the Light to enter the world. This is a reminder that our fasting and preparation are in joyful expectation of the Lord who has come, and who is coming. He will redeem the earth and resurrect the faithful to life. This is not a fast of strict penitence, but of self examination and preparation to meet our Savior with joy. We are still in the Advent anticipation, and still busy with fasting, praying and almsgiving, but are also taking time to remember the happiness that awaits us in His Incarnation and return in glory. We are planning on putting up our tree with the lights today, as we used to do at our former home, in honor of Gaudete Sunday. We will still decorate it on Christmas Eve, though.

Thank you to those who prayed for the return of Amira's wallet and who have been praying for my health. Her wallet was returned Monday, and it seems like it was more of a mischievous prank than outright theft. That is frustrating, but at least it wasn't malicious. Also, I am improving, little by little, day by day. I have found that when I have added sugar (with the exception of honey), that I am set back pretty immediately. Even a small amount brings on the coughing and exhaustion, so I am limiting it severely. The Advent fast helps with that, but the Saint Nicholas feast did not.

As a reminder, we are a little more relaxed about the fast during Advent, so if you are looking for the strictest meal plans, I will not be as helpful to you. However, we are keeping the strict fast on Wednesdays and Fridays and are doing as much without dairy and egg and fish as we can, with some leeway for our kids (and, this year, for me, too, as I recover), even as we have meat on Sundays (mostly for economia, as we usually provide a shared meal at church with folks who do not necessarily all keep the fast). There are the winter Ember days this week, so we will have a stricter fast on those days, and those who can will fast entirely.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?