.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Menu Plan: September 12 - 18

Glory to God who provides so abundantly for us! Not only are we blessed with our gleaning club and our local Grocery Outlet, but our Fred Meyer rewards showed up this week, and we were able to buy some pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, and basil for $0.50 a pound or a bunch (for the basil). We have been preserving up a storm! We are still below our Shelftember monthly budget, but we will be squeaking by if we make it this month. Last year we were over by only a little, and I was hoping to break even or be under this year.

I'm finding that even with just Alexander gone, we are building up quite a backlog of leftovers in the fridge. On Thursday last week, I wouldn't let anyone eat anything new until just about all the leftovers in the fridge were eaten. That was for both lunch and dinner! So, now I am trying to build in a leftovers day on Thursday, since that seems to be one of our busier days, until I get used to making just a little less. It makes my heart ache a little. I did alright not crying until after Alexander left Monday night. Nejat was sitting at the dining room table and just started to bawl. I held her and told her it was alright, that he still lived nearby, still loved her, and we would still see him, and that there was no reason to cry, all while tears started. I miss waiting for him to come in the door from work and miss saying goodnight to him. I don't want to spoil the fun and adventure of having his own place and freedom, so I'm telling you instead of him. He is doing well, and lives among several elderly folks who will soon find out that he is a big, friendly teddy bear, and will probably have him helping around their places soon enough. He is a light of Christ in a dark world, and among his neighbors, but I miss seeing him every day.

Anyway, it looks like this week is Mexican week at our house. Or at least Mexican style. I didn't quite plan on that, except that those meals worked out the best for our schedules this week. Next week is going to be much more about soft foods and soups because I get TWO wisdom teeth out and I think I will not want things that require lots of chewing or are too crunchy.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?