.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Yarn Along: End of the GAL and an Anniversary


Nejat's birthdayChristmasbirthdayChristmas starry night afghan is finally complete! I still need to weave in the ends and sew down the borders, but I am counting it as complete. She will be so happy to have it. I have one GAL project I'm working on now, Eve's Leaves. In my effort to work from stash, I am making it out of some teal and cream superwash merino I have left over from Hoar Frost. This is my 20th anniversary present to Rich, which was his favorite of my list of GAL projects. The traditional gift for 20 years is china, and I think we'll be finding a piece or two, but I think this one will be more memorable.

It's the last four days of the 2016 Indie Designer Gift-a-Long but it's not too late to join in the fun with us! It's shawl week on the blog. I think I mentioned that I picked up several. I'm highlighting a few more shawls I fell in love with from GAL designers:


Waverleaf
by Faye Kennington

I actually bought this one before the GAL began. The border detail on this makes me so happy, and I even have enough stash yarn to make it already, so it's kitted up and there are great plans for it. Faye's designs tend to go toward either representations of nature or whimsy, and I like the style of both of those paths she takes. Check out her work - there is a stocking in her shop that I really like as well.


Pinola
by Sarah Jordan

I've had my eye on this shawl since she first shared it in May. When it came out, I put it in my favorites, but I didn't buy it until the GAL. As I'm still trying to work from stash, and I wanted to make this in green, I dug around, and found a great green to blue yarn that I bought while on the quest for the perfect turquoise. It is waiting patiently to become this lovely creation. Sarah's use of texture and color are just up my alley, and usually have a little fun twist to them.


Sun in Glory
by Kate Poe

You may not know this, but I love all things celestial. I love suns, moons, stars, planets, comets, galaxies, you name it. They are also some of the only things I know how to draw. So, when I saw this, I knew it was going in my shopping cart. Kate is not exactly a new to me designer, but she hadn't been on my radar. That is a shame, because her shawls and other designs are truly lovely. I picked up her Titania shawl some years back, as well. She is someone whose work I will be watching.

We haven't been doing a lot of reading, but we've been on our annual Christmas movie binge. We've watched several Hanna Barbera cartoons, the Grinch, Charlie Brown, the Muppets' Christmas Carol, and we'll be on to Mr. Bean's Christmas show and It's a Wonderful Life, and the Claymation ones, the stop motion Rudolph, as well as Yogi Bear. It's a fun tradition for the 12 days of Christmas.



Also posting to Keep Calm and Craft On.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?