.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, March 21, 2016

Menu Plan: Palm Sunday and Holy Week


We are walking the way of sorrow with our Lord this week. It is arduous. On top of that, we all came down with a pretty nasty illness last week which has effectively put our normal life on hold. So, we are having pretty simple meals this week because it is full of church services and we are at a weaker point, physically. Technically, this Friday is the Feast of the Annunciation, but as that is Good Friday, we will be moving our observance to Bright Monday.

I am adding dairy back to my diet for our Paschal feast since it matters more to me than the other foods I can't eat. I'm praying that it does not cause more trouble. But since I've had a flare up in the middle of not eating any of these foods, I don't really know what to think. We're doing less in the way of eggs this year, because I would rather have dairy back than eggs and more of our traditional dishes have dairy in them than egg. Rich will be making our "Scotchicanese" eggs for him and the kids for breakfast on Fesah', and I will dye our red Pascha eggs. I'm modifying our Pascha bread to be made without eggs, so I can eat it with the family, and Rich will fry up some sausage for me without any egg. And since I will be breaking my fast after the vigil on Saturday night, I am going to have my first bit of dairy that night, too.

Since this is a week full of preparations for us, I'm trying to keep our meals as uncomplicated as possible. Yet again, it seems that our Lenten discipline has chosen us and not the other way around. It's been a challenging time of struggle and growth. I'm praying to see the fruit of that in our family. Normally, there is a strict fast from the end of the Maundy Thursday service through the Paschal Vigil, and Good Friday is a strict fast for everyone, even if they aren't doing the longer fast, but with how ill everyone has been, I'm not sure we can do it. Something that might help us, though, is that the vigil is earlier this year than it normally is. We usually start at 11:00 p.m. or midnight and we're starting at 8:00 p.m. Pray for our strengthening. It is usually a time of great prayer and spiritual growth.

May God grant you all a blessed and holy journey to the Paschal celebration.
What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?