.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Yarn Along: Sweaters and Socks



It is not clear to me how I could get nearly 70% of the way through Driftwood in a month, and take nine days to get 10% through it. In any case, here it is. It's a tiny bit further along than this photo shows (and that is our bathroom, post remodel, by the way). There are 10 more rows before the short rows begin for the peplum, then I need to pick up the bands and neck and knit those, with a button hole at the waist. Also, I have started Rich's manly rainbow socks. For the third time. I'm used to going down a size or two, as I knit more loosely than many people. So, I started on size 1 1/2 needles. Too loose. Then I went down to size 1s, and while they weren't as loose, they were still a touch too loose. I actually called Mountain Colors to ask if the yarn bloomed when washed, before I went down to the size 0s. The dyers told me their experience with the yarn, that it had little to no blooming when washed, and said how sorry they were to hear I'd be using size 0 needles and that they hated having to tell me to use such small needles. So, now I'm knitting men's socks on size 0s. 90 sts on size 0s. With 16 rounds to an inch. Though, to be fair, part of that is because I don't like socks to be knit too loosely. They don't wear well at looser gauges. If I had knit it at the ball band gauge, I could have done around 70 sts on larger needles. But, they would have been lacey. And rainbow colored yarn, even subdued, is pushing it a bit for a man's pair of socks, without adding lace to the mix. It's a good thing these aren't Christmas presents.


Swatch for Amira, which needs knitters in about a month.

Since I only have a couple knitters for this design, and Christmas is coming quickly, I'm going to put this on hold until January. If you are interested in being part of a Preview KAL/Test of this design, please do contact me, though, with a size you'd like to try. I'll note you and send you a reminder when we're readyget the ball rolling. This is a woman's, sleeveless shell that requires seaming, but only two seams, one on each side. As you can see from the swatch, it involves texture and simple lace. The pattern requires standard chart reading skills, ability to increase and decrease, make yos, knit in the round, and pick up stitches. Right now, I'm working on my own top in a deep red. There are no specific brand requirements for the yarn, simply a DK weight yarn that knits up at 5.5 stitches per in in stockinette (the gauge for the top will be about 5.25 spi, but I want a yarn that will drape well at that gauge). I'd like to have at least two knitters per size: 29", 34", 39", 44", 49" finished bust. Yardage requirements are calculated for each size, respectively, as: 790, 900, 1000, 1100, 1225 yds. This is still an estimate, however, so I recommend getting an extra skein of whatever you buy, or if you are using stash, making sure that you have an extra ball's worth of the yarn. I'll want you to join a Facebook or Ravelry group for preview knitters, if you are able, but will strongly request a Ravelry entry, tagging me in it, and a link up when the pattern is released. The specific details will be given if you take this on for me. I will give the finished copy of the pattern to knitters when the pattern is released, a percentage/amount off coupon to my Ravelry Store for those who complete the item, and a coupon for a free pattern for those who provide photos and link up to the pattern page. If you are able to do this, please contact me. Here's the weekly reminder to like Arabian Knits Designs on Facebook, if you haven't already. That's where I put updates and preview knitting opportunities and other design news. Thank you!

Yet again, my primary reading has been with Amira. We finished Nice Girl Like You. Today, we started Myself and I. She is coping pretty well with the ups and downs of the book, and now wants to read some more by the same author - which we own.



Also posting to Keep Calm and Craft On.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?