Monday, February 23, 2015
Menu Plan: First Sunday of Lent
Last week, Rich did something brilliant as we made our doughnuts for Mardi Gras: He stuffed a few of the ftira (just after they were fried) and filled them with organic chocolate truffles (two or three) and rolled the whole thing in powdered sugar. We saved those for the parents at the party.
This was about a quarter of the doughnuts we made. Since Rich had the powdered sugar out already, he dusted some of the other doughnuts with powdered sugar as well.
We were blessed to find a lot of good produce on sale this past week, and even found wild caught (frozen) salmon and cod on sale, for days that we will eat fish. We forgot to pick up the fish, but friend of ours was near the store and got it for us! It was such good timing. We will be getting a nearly 30 pound box of organic apples this week, 25 pounds of organic carrots, and three boxes from our organic produce co-op, plus the deals we found at Grocery Outlet and Fred Meyer.
I don't know what we will do for Alexander's name day on Thursday, but we will be reading more about Saint Alexander of Alexandria at least.
- Sunday Exodus 10-12, Psalms 24:1-11, Proverbs 4:19-23, Matthew 14:22-36
Breakfast: Oatmeal with Leftover Lemon Glaze, Milk and Coffee
Dinner: Roast Chicken, Rice Pilaf, Steam Sauteed Mixed Vegetables
- Monday - Feast of Saint Polycarp of Smyrna Exodus 13-15, Psalms 24:12-22, Proverbs 4:24-28, Matthew 15:1-20
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs, Toast, Bananas, Blood Oranges, Milk and Coffee
Dinner: Araka Me Saltsa* (Greek pea and potato stew with dill and feta), Rice
- Tuesday Exodus 16-18, Psalms 25, Proverbs 5:1-6, Matthew 15:21-39
Breakfast: Yogurt and Blackberry Jam, Bananas, Milk and Coffee
Dinner: Borani Kadoo, Brown Rice, Yogurt
- Wednesday Exodus 19-21, Psalms 26, Proverbs 5:7-14, Matthew 16
Breakfast: Ful with Chopped Tomatoes, Onions and Jalapenos, Bread, Tea with Honey
Dinner: Besan Chila (a kind of chickpea flour pancake filled with sauteed vegetables), Harissa, Mini Sweet Peppers, Grape Tomatoes
- Thursday - Feast of Saint Alexander of Alexandria Exodus 22-24, Psalms 27, Proverbs 5:15-19, Matthew 17
Breakfast: Oatmeal with Pears and Cinnamon Sugar, Milk and Coffee
Dinner: Tacos de Papa, Avocado Relish, Minneolas
- Friday Exodus 25-27, Psalms 28, Proverbs 5:20-23, Matthew 18:1-20
Breakfast: Cashew Butter Toast, Apple Sauce, Tea with Honey
Dinner: Potato Kibbeh, Salad, Sliced Pears
- Saturday Exodus 28-29, Psalms 29, Proverbs 6:1-6, Matthew 18:21-35
Breakfast: Tunisian Shakshouka (using sweet potatoes), Toast, Sliced Apples, Milk and Coffee
Dinner: Torteggas, Fruit Plate