.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Menu Plan: May 23 - May 29

This is the first Pentecost without our church family. Last year was the first year we had not hosted our Tongues of Flame Barbecue. It was a little odd and quiet, but still a great celebration. We were able to visit with one friend from our former church. She was in the area on business and made a trip out to our place so we could see each other.

This last week I took a chance and it paid off. Fred Meyer had an incredible deal on fresh, wild caught halibut: $4.99 a pound for a half or whole fish. They weren't the biggest halibut you could find, but were plenty large enough for our family. Well, I called the first day I heard about it and one store only had a few left, but was expecting a shipment later in the week, the other store I called was all out and thought they might get another shipment. The morning the first store's shipment was expected, I called them. They didn't get it. I called the other store, they did get a shipment, but only had two whole fish left (and two halves). This store is an hour away. I decided to take a risk and packed the children in the car, got there as quickly as I could and headed straight to the seafood counter. We were able to get the very last halibut they had. By the time they were finished cutting it into steakd and fillets, there was only one half left of the two. Between the great deals on frozen wild salmon and cod from the week before and the fresh halibut (most of which we froze immediately), we are doing pretty well for seafood around here. This Friday's dinner plan is actually what we ate last Friday, because of having the fresh fish, but since I had recipes to post, I just kept the plans as they were.What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I LOVE halibut - my favorite fish ever!
 
If you are able to get some, you should try that marinade and grill it. It is so good! It works for any firm white fish, though, so you don't have to wait for halibut, though that is exceptionally good.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?