.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Menu Plan: September 6 - September 12

I was away this weekend for my friend's daughter's wedding, so Rich was on his own with the children, meals and trying to rearrange our kitchen. I returned home late last night with a headache from too little water and too much recycled air on the plane, so I didn't try to finish my meal plans for the week.

It was nice to go back "home" for a couple days, though a little sad, too. I nearly cried when I saw the Sound and the trees as we flew over. I visited our old house, which is a sad, empty place now. Since there are a lot of things we can't get here that we could get there, I brought an empty suitcase, with two small coolers and freezer packs in them. I filled it to the weight limit with food that is hard to find here, or hard to find inexpensively. Since we have used up our bacon from our pig, I picked up a bunch of bacon ends, as well as the bacon burger from our butcher there. I bought some of their beef jerky and pepper jerky, picked up a little raw honey from a friend to get us by until Rich harvests our supers later this month and a selection of smoked and specialty salts to replenish our store. On top of that, I scheduled all my non-wedding meals at our favorite places to eat, brought back a pizza from the fired oven place we love and sandwiches from the market deli we loved to share with Rich last night. TSA was a little perplexed by my suitcase and carry on. Though they said it smelled amazing.

It would have been both a shorter trip and cheaper for me to drive rather than fly, but Rich needed the car for the children and he wanted me to get a little vacation back with my friends since we've had so much to do this summer and we just started school again (last night we realized I could have just rented a car, for a little less money and still gotten there and back in less time). Next time, we will all go together and bring a big cooler to fill with meat and treats from back home.

Even though we like it here and there is so much to recommend it to us, I still find myself longing for the Sound and the trees and the mountains. It was wonderful to drive over the bridge and see the water again, and terrible to leave the next day. I had a great time, though, saw several friends and witness a beautiful wedding. We danced our hearts out at the reception (there is even a video out there on the internets of me dancing with our friends) and rejoiced together. I was able to go to church at our church, receive the eucharist and bring some reserved sacrament back for Rich and the children. It did leave me with a little homesickness, though. I know that eventually it will feel like home here, but it is still too soon.What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. Starred recipes will follow separately.

Here is the list of foods from the freezer, fridge and pantry that I'm using this week. Anything from the freezer, pantry or fridge that was not bought specifically for this meal or this past week will be included in my lists.

Freezer:
Ground Pork (we mix in the seasonings for sausage)
Pork Tenderloin
Beef Cross Rib Roast
Chicken Stock
Veal and Oxtail Bones to make Stock for Onion Soup
Peas
Green Beans
Roasted Corn
Guacamole

Fridge:
Eggs
Butter
Yogurt
Sour Cream
Homemade Mayonnaise
Milk
Cheddar
Pepper Jack Cheese
Lettuce
Carrots
Cucumber
Celery
Red, Yellow & Green Peppers
Jalapenos
Cilantro
Parsley
Mint
Potimarron Squash
Crookneck Squash
Watermelon
Blueberries
Maple Syrup


Pantry:
All Herbs & Spices
Salt
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Onions
Garlic
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Kamut
Hard White Wheat
Soft White Wheat
Spelt
Pastry Flour
Basmati Rice
Corn Meal
Black Beans
Pinto Beans
Steel Cut Oats
Rolled Oats
Yeast
Vanilla Extract
All Sugars
Dried Cherries
Raisins
Dried, Shredded Coconut
Sliced Almonds
Tea
Pears
Peaches
Plums

Basil from a pot
Apricots from our tree

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?