.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, September 26, 2008

Finished Object Friday: Dairy Products

We are fortunate to have a source for raw milk. There is a local farmer who sells us milk, she only bottles milk from one cow in each container so there is no mixing. Last week, I got there just a little after she had done the morning milking, and the cream hadn't even separated yet. We pick up four gallons a week, and still had two gallons left over from the week before, because with some end of summer colds, we hadn't been drinking as much milk. Well, Rich skimmed the cream off of those two gallons, and we let the cream rise on one of the gallons I brought home and skimmed that, too. Then we whirred it in the food processor and made butter:



So, really quickly, you want your cream to be about 60 degrees, not too cold, not too warm, it should take about five minutes in the food processor, pour off the buttermilk, keep it, then put ice water in with the butter, pulse it a little to wash out the rest of the buttermilk, pour it off, repeat until the water runs clear. Knead the butter with two wooden spoons or butter paddles, to work out the rest of the butter, and shape it into a ball or small shapes or cubes or whatever you like. Refrigerate to harden a bit.

We also have nice buttermilk in the fridge now, too. I used a half gallon of the new whole milk to make yogurt. I've made more granola this week as well as mayonnaise. I need to make more chocolate syrup and I'd like to make these energy bars, only I would use almond meal and not flax meal, and raw honey for the sweetener.

Aside from food staples, I made another double batch of laundry detergent, a batch of fabric softener, and a couple bottles of all purpose & glass cleaner. I brought a bit of knitting that just needed sewing up to homeschool PE, but never got a chance to work on it, and I've grabbed the needles and pattern to start the IK sweater from last fall that I want to make.

If you have one or more finished items this week, please sign Mr. Linky below and share all you have made. Your Finished Object(s) can be knit, crocheted, sewn, quilted, tatted, beaded, papercraft, woodwork or any other kind of craft. Show off what you have made! Please make sure you link to the exact post that shows your finished item(s) rather than just to your blog.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
I now have all the ingredients for making the laundry soap but I don't know what to make it in. Do I need to have a lid (our laundry room is our kitchen)? Please advise so I can do this.
And really, I don't know how you manage to get so much done every day but you are an inspiration to me.
 
You probably do need a lid, but I don't bother. We use a giant restaurant sized pickle container. Our laundry is in the kitchen as well.

As for how much I get done? I don't list the things that get dropped off the list. I used to finish between 20 and 40 knitting projects a year. Now, it's more like 10. Small things. If you count items like socks as two things.

Much less cleaning and much less cooking happens here now. I didn't get any preserving done this summer between the baby and the weather, so it's a good thing we don't have to live off of it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?