.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, October 08, 2023

Menu Plan: October 8 - 14

We got a little bit more on track this past week, and are looking to be more so this week. We begin with Alexander's birthday and end with the anniversary of Rich and my first date. It's a good week.

The geese, turkeys, and roosters are on death row this week. We have cleared out the freezer a bit, made room, and are getting ready to fill it with delicious birds. We even moved things around so the meats I will need for the next month will be closer to the top of our chest freezer. Poor Rich will spend part of our anniversary day on the butchering, but we will get to have a lovely evening that night. We were able to go to a wedding last night, and there was dancing, so that was lovely.

I know that times are tight for folks. My hope is that these menu plans, and how I choose meals and cook from our freezers and pantries will give you ideas on how to provide well for your families with what you have and little expense. This is the first time I have tried to plan meals over a month, and I think it probably wouldn't work that well in the late spring and summer, just because of how we get so much fresh produce and so on, but in the fall and winter, it's really not too bad. I'm leaving room for side dishes and other elements to change, but mostly I am looking at what is in our freezers and pantries and planning from there. Now, I'm looking to November, and getting a start on my planning for next month, as well.

So, I am making a meal on Saturday that almost makes me hang my head in shame. It is not Mexican in any way. My kids call them white people enchiladas. That is not untrue. The recipe I first started with included cream of something soup. They do have chile in the sauce, and they are filled tortillas, but that is all that ties them to enchiladas. Likewise, the rice I am making is just similar to some of the flavors in Mexican food, it's not actually Mexican, but there you have it. They are tasty dishes, even if they aren't Mexican. I just don't know what to call them. Usually, I try to make things at least close to how they should be made, and I made these closer to real Mexican and real food than the recipe I was given.

Anyway, we are trucking right along on the property and in life, and enjoying the fall weather while we have it (I'm ignoring the fact that the mornings and nights are closer to winter). Next week, Amelia turns one, and we are so excited! May your week be as joyous.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?