.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Menu Plan: May 16 - 22

We had a trip back "home" this past week and got to spend a few minutes on the harbor. It was literally a breath of fresh air. We had such a delightful time by the salt water, the trees, the mountains, and it did fill us with some homesickness. However, it is good to be back home again with our kids. I really needed that break, too. It has been a while since I posted any updates on my crafting or reading, and I hope to get back to that this week, also.

There is a lot of roasted asparagus on our menu this week. It is fresh and local, and we are getting it for $0.75/pound, and we just haven't had time to do any pickling of it. That will be on our next load of asparagus, I think. We also have a couple repeats on meals this week, just because they didn't really work out with our schedule last week. Rich and I had to leave a day earlier than planned, so I simplified a meal so the kids wouldn't have as much to keep track of with regards to Jerome's diet. We will see it again this week, though. Breakfast is still pretty automated. However, I am going to be including more eggs for the kids, because our chickens are producing a ton and we have too many at home. With Jerome not eating them, we aren't using them as ingredients in shared foods or meals, so that means a few breakfasts and a dinner that will almost be two different meals, rather than the same one, so they don't go to waste. Also, if you are local, maybe we can work out a trade or something, and you can get fresh eggs from us.

The koubbat battatas we made last week was delicious, but frying it was a disaster. I ended up coating a jelly roll pan generously with oil, putting the formed potato koubbeh on the pan, and cooking at a high heat, then turning over to brown on both sides. This was successful, and actually made it a quicker process, so even though I couldn't get them to fry up properly, I don't know that I will try it again, anyway. We salvaged the detonated koubbeh from the oil and ate it over rice. I may share the recipe here, too. I found a recipe for making chicken fried steak and fried chicken that is gluten-free, egg and dairy free, as well. I am thrilled, because I have been wanting to make that for a while, but didn't want to leave Jerome out of it. I can use his gluten-free flour mixture to make biscuits he can eat, too. The gravy is something I am still working on, but I will let you know when I have a solution there.

This week, we have another birthday, and we are so excited. Nejat turns eight this week, and we are having a small celebration with the family, which she was trying to plan so that Jerome can eat it with us. The kids have really been wonderful about looking out for him. She will have a party when we can work it out with her guests' schedules. Pentecost is next week, which is the second highest feast in the Church year. We look forward to the birthday of the Church and the bestowing of the gifts of the Spirit. Christ is risen!

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday. Linking to Menu Plan Monday

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?