.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Menu Plan: Christmas Season and Ordinary Time

We are sort of back in ordinary time. It is still the Christmas season through the Feast of the Purification, and though our readings still illuminate the incarnation and the manifestation of Christ as God in this world, we are gearing down in preparation for the bright sadness of Lent and the rejoicing that comes at the Paschal feast.

January is always a rough month. It is cold, dark, even with the days getting a little longer, and there is nothing fun to distract us from the frigid misery. It is actually not as cold as normal here, but since that is about the temperature of Satan's heart, it's not like it is hard to be warmer. I am missing living in a more temperate place and travel and all the things that could take me from this cold right now. We are revisiting our modified hibernation plan.

We have had some bright spots to cheer us up, though. Besides the good news with my father and one of my brothers last week, we also had cause to rejoice with Alexander who finally was offered a job, which he has accepted and signed paperwork (which was the reason I didn't share about it last week), in his field. It is an entry level job, but already pays a third more than his job he has now, and will give him experience, further training, and benefits. Also, on Thursday, I received another call from my brother telling us that our father was slated to go home Monday, barring any problems over the weekend. We are praying that it is so, as that means he should be home by tonight (our time) and rest and recovery at home with the people who love him around him will be much better.

This week's menu is still mostly out of our freezers, fridge and pantry. We are cooking it down until Ash Wednesday, and being as frugal as possible while we pay down debt. We have made some great progress on that score, and hope to have it managed in time to be able to travel again when that opens up once more. I know I have been terrible about keeping up my recipe round up posts, and I am sorry about that. Between the SAD and the exhaustion of the holidays and the darkness and cold and the recovery from the year we have just had, I have been so much more worn out than normal, even for this time of year, and I am spending my energy on the family and meal preparation.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday. Linking to Menu Plan Monday

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?