.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Menu Plan: Second Sunday of Lent


We went a little crazy on our produce co-op order this week. We always try to get more vegetation during Lent, anyway, and this is the tail end of the citrus season, so we picked up extras. That meant that we spent more than we normally would, by almost double, but for our $191.50, we received three organic boxes, four add on boxes, a 25 pound box of organic Roma tomatoes, a 38 pound box of Pink Lady apples from our own state, and a 36 pound box of Minneola tangelos, plus two jicama and two cucumbers that we picked up as a thank you for helping at the co-op site. There were 6 pounds of fingerling potatoes, 3 pounds of green beans, 3 romanesco cauliflower, 3 bunches of lacinato kale, 15 baby bok choi, 3 heads of Boston lettuce, 3 bunches of rainbow carrots (we gave the tops to our chickens and turkeys), 6 zucchini, 9 avocados, 6 large leeks, 4 orange bell peppers, 2 bunches of celery, 4 bunches of scallions, 2 pounds of snap peas, 4 large portabella mushroom caps, 8 yellow onions, 8 russet potatoes, 8 Anaheim peppers, 2 bunches parsley, 2 bunches cilantro, 2 bunches of Thai basil, 4 bulbs garlic, 2 knobs of ginger, 2 bunches of rosemary, 2 bags of dried chiles de arbol, 2 bags of bay leaves, 4 limes, 4 lemons, 18 oranges, 15 tangerines, 3 giant mangoes, 2 jicama, and 2 cucumbers, plus the 25 pounds of tomatoes, 38 pounds of apples, and 36 pounds of Minneolas. That is a great deal for our area, especially in the winter. We even came home with a bunch of scraps and dinged items for our poultry to turn into eggs for the family. In any case, we're using the more delicate produce this week and spreading out the more sturdy items over the next two weeks.

If you, like me, are avoiding dairy and eggs, these menus are easily adaptable to that. Our shared meals during the week are either vegan or fish/shellfish meals and if there is anything that requires dairy or egg, it is separate for those who are eating them. Breakfasts are mostly being made separately, and if I add anything to my coffee, it is coconut milk. I generally drink my coffee black, but there are days that I reheat it (I know, but it's part of how I keep it from going to waste - that, and freezing it in cubes), and when I do, I add milk or cream, so I'm using coconut milk for that now.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up.




Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?