.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, March 09, 2015

Menu Plan: Third Sunday of Lent


We are inching ever closer toward our Paschal feast, we're about half way through Lent now, and the challenge is getting more real. Lent always seems to teach me just how attached I still am to my desires and impulses. Just when I think that I've detached myself from them, I have to give them up and see how hard it is to fight my urges for things as simple as a piece of cake or a soda or bacon. If these lawful things are hard to go without for a short time (and we really do not fast strenuously, as we have a house full of young children and I have been so often pregnant or nursing over the past couple decades), how much more challenging are the temptations to sin and error that I am supposed to put away forever. It is humbling to see how much we must depend on God for even the simplest resolution and discipline.

Rich made us a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs with sauteed peppers, scallions, and smoked havarti cheese, with toast and fruit for Saturday. So, I'm going to try to make our planned breakfast this week. In reality, I am blessed, because Rich really does make breakfast most weekends, so I plan for the off chance that he has something else to do that would keep him from it. We moved a couple of our dinners and another breakfast around, though, so I have a few repeats this week as well.

For two of those, it was because Rich asked me on some mini-dates. We took a walk along the irrigation ditch lines one night, and had the kids help with preparing a simpler meal so we could take the time. It was nice to have weather that wasn't so frigid that we couldn't walk comfortably - I only needed a sweatshirt over my clothes - and to have that time to talk alone before we were too exhausted by the evening's requirements. On Friday, Rich asked me to come with him as he took care of other responsibilities. Since a lot of that was waiting time, we took a walk downtown and found out that the shops were having a first Friday event to draw in customers to shop local businesses. We checked out a couple new restaurants that we'd like to visit once Lent is over, and there were several places holding drawings. We entered about three or four of them, and I won one! This was, evidently, my week for winning, because earlier that week, I won a drawing held by a fellow blogger. I'll post some pictures when I receive my goodies.

This week ushers in birthday season in our family. Amira turns 11 this week, and has the first family birthday of the year. We won't stop until Alexander's birthday in October. March, June, July, and August each hold two family birthdays. April and September are the only months until then that don't have any family birthdays.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?