.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Recipe Round Up: Greek Style Pea Stew

I found this recipe online last year and didn't have quite the right ingredients for it, but what I had was close enough. The recipe has since disappeared from the universe, so I recreated it. It is quick to put together, can be made with many things that people often store in their homes, and is delicious. I served it with rice, but it could be eaten with flat bread or khoubz Araby (pita bread), or just by itself.

1/4 cup olive oil
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large onions, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried dill
1 quart diced tomatoes with juices (I first used a couple cans of diced tomatoes with chipotle, because that's what I had, and it was great)
1 cup of white wine or vermouth
10 - 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, undrained (I've used capers when I didn't have the artichoke hearts)
2 pounds peas, fresh or frozen
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound crumbled feta cheese

Heat a large pot over medium high, add oil, potatoes, and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add garlic and dill and cook a minute or two more. Pour in tomatoes, vermouth, and artichoke hearts with liquid. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes. Add peas and cook another 5 minutes.

Take off heat and stir in feta cheese, then taste for salt and adjust seasonings.

Serve with rice, bread, or simply as it is. Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?