.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Menu Plan: August 10 - 16


We have had many blessings at the farmers' market this week, and so we have a ton of plums, peaches, nectarines, some raspberries, loads of tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash, shallots, basil, watermelon. Plus there was a Yukon Gold potato glean from which Alexander and Rich brought home almost 175 pounds of potatoes, and our apricot tree is doing really well this year. I should take some time this week to do some canning and freezing. However, it is also fair week, so we will be rather busy with that.

I am somewhat in denial that school starts up again next month, and I haven't prepared as much as I ought to have done. We have a trip planned, though, and I think I will bring my planning books and finish up our calendar then. Most of our fall calendar is already set up, but I still have lesson planning and outlines to do.

Our climate here is such that we really only get two weeks of fall before it is all of a sudden winter. And fall starts the week after the fair. So, that's depressing. We've already seen mornings in the upper 40s here. I'm in denial about that, as well. I hate winter. And we haven't accomplished all the things we wanted to do this summer.

Someone from our family will be working our neighborhood booth at close time each night of the fair. So, I've tried to plan meals that could be packaged and sent with whoever was working the close without too much trouble. There will probably be some swapping of our booth's stuff for other group's offerings as well. I'm only working one day this year at the fair, and we haven't entered a single thing this year. Last year was the only year I didn't work the fair booth since we moved here, and that includes working up until the Saturday before Mariam was born one year. We're kind of sad about not entering at the fair, but we had so many things going on with our schedule, that it just wasn't feasible. We were planning on being at my 20th high school reunion this weekend, and missing two days of the fair, but then we had a death in the family, which required a trip to the same area within a week, and there were scheduling complications with Rich's work and the fair and some friends of ours who live in my hometown and it just became too much. By the time we realized we'd be here for all of the fair and around to collect the projects at the end, there really wasn't time or energy to dedicate to good entries. So, we're just looking this year. But next year, we're going to dominate yet again.

What is on your menu this week? If you want a recipe, ask and I will provide it as soon as I can. If there are any starred recipes, I will follow up separately with a weekly recipe round up on Saturday.



Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?