.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, October 23, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday



1. If you are interested in joining me in the Bean Week Challenge, please remember to check back Sunday night to sign Mr. Linky.

2. I thought this joint statement on the Blessed Virgin Mary from Catholics and Evangelicals together was wonderful.

3. Our children have made a rock museum. They collected the rocks, set it up and built the sign. Please come visit, entrance is only $1.00, though I just learned that it isn't $1.00 per person, but rather $1.00 to each of our children who run it. It's a way better deal for a family or group. $5.00 for a school tour? Come on, you won't find that anywhere else.



4. In the same train of thought, I've been so thrilled to watch how even when our children are at play they are learning and doing in a way that I don't think they would have had we put them in government schools or not been adamant that we don't have television in our house. They are not materialistic, they can play without someone else organizing it for them, they come up with ideas that are not cartoon/movie character driven. They are my great things and I am so glad I am here to help them learn and watch them explore.

5. This bit about the Paranoid Center is spot on, I think.

6. I think I am one of the few people who is not thrilled with the new movie releases of childrens' books. Where the Wild Things Are and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are short books. In order to make them into full length movies, the people making them have to add a bunch. Since the people making them come from Hollywood, they think this means adding snotty behavior, elevating nasty attitudes in children (not just what gets Max sent to bed, mind you), inserting sexual innuendo and other stupidity. I don't really care how cool the cinematography is, they are taking delightful books and making them into dumb movies that only have a slight relationship to the books from which they came.

7. Finally, this cracked me up. It hit on a few of my own peeves.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I honestly can't say that every movie out of Hollywood is bad-even after watching it a zillion times I still love "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and I could watch Cary Grant all day. However, I think that Hollywood is basically out of ideas. That has to be why they keep butchering children's stories. They do this to adult stories as well-I never saw "Girl With A Pearl Earring" but the book was pretty good. I guess it is their money but I wish they could be more creative and make up their own stories.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?