.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, September 15, 2008

Bounty

Our family received so many gifts this weekend. It was an embarrassment of riches, and we were truly blessed.

First, one of my homeschooling friends who is Dominican, and whose husband is Puerto Rican, came back from a two week trip to Puerto Rico. She said before she left that she would bring me back some avocado from their trip, the gigantic, smooth skinned ones.

Friday, as Rich and I were putting together the jalapeno popper pizzas (which were amazing, by the way, we will definitely make these again), I got a phone call from Claudia telling me that she was in our town and could she come over with the avocado. So, she and her family not only got us avocado from Puerto Rico and flew them back, but they delivered it to our door. Because we have eight bazillion crookneck squash (from one plant!), we were able to send them home with some and some ideas on how to cook them (the big, fat ones that got left on the plant too long are great shredded and cooked with garlic and olive oil with a little salt and pepper, tossed with pasta and sprinkled with parmesan, the little nice ones are great sliced and sauteed, if they are really little, you can fry them whole or split them in half to roast them).

Saturday, we went to an r/c air show and Amira won a radio controlled model of Air Force One. I'll get photos of the children at the air show up soon. Then, Cathy treated our family for dinner, but not before Rich's dad gave me a box of 14 cookbooks to look through, to see if I wanted any of them. I kept nine or ten. I hope to post about some of the books and the recipes here in the near future.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?