.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Big Amazing

When we lived in Oklahoma, I worked at an insurance office in Broken Arrow. Broken' Arrah. B A. Across the street was a Big K K-Mart. I was friends with a group of women from church who went out for drinks after Wednesday night services and we called ourselves ECHO for Episcopal Chicks Hanging Out (those nights out, by the way, were how we got Alexander to sleep through the night, a cocktail or two and I'd come home to nurse him to sleep). So how are these things related? And what do they have to do with this post today?

A few nights ago, at the dinner table, Rich was asking me about something, I don't even remember what it was, and I described it as not just big, but BA. This is an acronym for Big A$$. I got that acronym from Jennifer in ECHO who told us about how when the new and improved Big Ks started showing up, she and her family would joke that it wasn't just K-Mart, it was Big A$$ K-Mart. It cracked us up. Maybe you had to be there?

Anyway, we turned it into the acronym, after all we don't have to actually say the word to know what we mean, and started using it to describe anything that was outrageously large or to mock something as trying to seem bigger than it was. Thus the term was born. Ask me about PITA, SNAFU, FUBAR and BOHICA one day. Or not. This is a family blog after all.

Since Rich and I pretty much never* swear, use profanity or vulgarity, these little phrases, code words and acronyms strike our friends as hilarious. We don't usually count a$$, though, since it is an animal, so if you call someone one, it is an insult, but not necessarily vulgar. Now if you are referring to one that belongs to someone else, chances are you aren't talking to a farmer, so it would be vulgar language at that point. Not that we use that kind of language around the children, anyway, which reminds me to start a rough draft about another funny thing related to this to post later.

Back to the first story (or second, I can't keep track). BA something or other. Dominic heard our little exchange and asked what BA meant. Rich grinned at me, and I answered "Very Large." Then, he wanted to know why it wasn't VL instead. So, I told him it stood for big and amazing.

Yes, I did.

*By never, I mean barring extreme anger of the sort that rarely occurs. Our children don't know any swear words, that's how rarely it happens.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Careful with that....My dad told me in my teens (when he was discouraging me from drinking) that he had "never drank." I didn't believe him but couldn't figure out why. When I told my mom years later, she went, "Oh the dad we used to drag out of bars in the middle of night. That dad?" I have never fully believed things he has told me ever since. Though in all honesty, I am certain he is not in the habit of lying.
 
Oh, we'll tell them soon enough. I figure if they can handle finding out the tooth fairy doesn't exist (or rather, is a man, and their dad), they'll handle this. They knew we were putting them on, because of the grins and giggling, but they also knew that we weren't telling them quite yet.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?