.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, August 22, 2008

Bacon What?


I found this at our local market the other day. Bacon Salt. Bacon salt? It is, apparently, bacon flavored salt. It comes in three flavors.

Here is the perplexing part: It is vegetarian and, AND certified kosher. What?! Why would a vegetarian want bacon flavored food? Why would someone who keeps kosher get bacon flavored food? Rich suggested it might be for converts.

I will admit to buying flavored salts and fancy salt. We love the Salish Alder Smoked Salt we get from Artisan Salt Co. (we get it at the grocery store). Fleur de sel makes me swoon. We use sea salt and kosher salt for our everyday use. We have za'atar, celery salt and even that generic seasoned salt which we buy solely for making Chex mix.

But, bacon salt? I'm not sure about that, and I am a huge bacon fan. I looked on their website, and in our small town alone, there are four stores that carry their products. Down south near you, Rachelle, there are five stores that carry it, just in case you're dying to get your hands on some. Being vegetarian and all.

So, has anyone out there tried it? Is it good? Is it as good as bacon? I'm dying to know.

Okay, I just read their story. That part is pretty cool. They also seem to have a pretty good sense of humor about themselves and their product. I also found that they hail from our area.

Labels:


Comments:
To answer your question, although it seems odd that bacon flavored salt would be Kosher I have two explanations. First is that, beef bacon is kosher and tasty. And second, just because it is not Kosher doesn't mean it isn't tasty. It just means its forbidden from eating! I know lots of Jews who eat imitation Kosher crab meat, because of course it is flavored fish. So there you have it, hope this helps! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?