.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tales from the Kitchen Classic: Macaroni and Cheese

Since we are having macaroni and cheese this week, I thought I'd repost this, with a picture.

Originally posted March 17, 2006 to Tales from the Kitchen

So, to make a 9 X 11 pan:

I boil lots of salted water to cook the pasta (about a pound), and while that's happening I make a white sauce. Preheat the oven to 425 F.

1/4 cup butter
1/2 an onion, finely diced
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons mustard
a couple dashes of hot sauce
4 cups milk
4 cups grated cheese, usually cheddar, but sometimes a mix with cheddar and other cheeses

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and saute a few minutes, then add the flour and stir to combine. I let that brown a little while stirring it occasionally. Then I add the mustard and hot sauce and stir into the flour paste. I add the milk, a little at a time, stirring to combine and let it cook five to ten minutes to thicken. Reduce heat to low and add the cheese, mix it all up until the cheese is melted.

In a greased pan, dump the cooked pasta (not all the way cooked, it will finish in the oven), and pour the cheese sauce over it. If you have any leftover or frozen vegetables, you can put some in with it as well. Stir it all up to coat the pasta, and bake for about 30 minutes.

Usually, I put buttered bread crumbs on top before I put it in the oven, but I didn't feel like cleaning out the food processor. When Rich came home from work, he reminded me that we had already made some that were stored in a container in the pantry, but it was too late at that point to do anything about it without making dinner pretty late.

I usually serve with a salad, and try to have two salads, one green and one fruit, to go with this.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?