.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, February 22, 2008

Salted Butter on Pancakes

Here is another food shame of mine. I use exclusively unsalted butter. I find it to be better quality, and it allows us to control the salt in our food, and we like the taste. However, I do harbor a preference for salted butter on pancakes. I don't know if this comes from the times when I was a child and we went to to the Original Pancake House (not IHOP) - which I just discovered is now across the US, I hope their amazing breakfasts have not suffered for this - for a treat and they served it with the pancakes, or what, but I do like the salty butter mixed with syrup on them. Oddly enough no fond craving for fake maple syrup has endured.

Since we never have salted butter in our house, I do not indulge in this. However, now that I have found that in the Pacific Northwest Organic Valley does sell unhomogenized milk (and our grocery store has ordered us a case!) I may churn up a small batch of butter with the children and salt it just for this purpose. We are planning on trying our hand at some simple cheesemaking, too, so I'll let you know how that goes. If I do make the butter, I will serve it with this pancake recipe, which I developed after seeing a similar hearty type mix at the grocery store for about 1000% more than it should have cost. We use our fresh eggs and our girls' honey in this, which makes it especially nice. These are the only pancakes I make. Rich is the pancake man at our house, and his are amazing also. He cooks them up for us in a quadruple batch on Saturdays so we can freeze the leftovers and heat them up for quick breakfasts during the week. This recipe, though, is what we ate today:

Honey and Oat Flapjacks

makes about 18

1 3/4 cup oat flour (you can either grind up rolled oats or buy this already milled)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs

Start heating a good non-stick pan or a griddle at a medium high heat (on my electric stove, I set it at 6 1/2 to heat).

In a medium bowl, mix up the flours, baking powder and salt and set aside. In a larger bowl, mix up the liquid ingredients (I melt the butter in this bowl, add the honey, then the eggs and milk). Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. This will be thicker than normal pancake batter by just a touch.

I use 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, and immediately turn the heat down to 4 1/2 on my stove. These cook a little more slowly than regular pancakes, and using too high a temperature will get you squishy, burned pancakes.

We serve this with maple syrup and butter. We also make eggs, sometimes bacon or sausage, to go with them. This morning we had apple blueberry sauce. Of course, we drink milk. This recipe feeds all seven of us with maybe one or two left. You could double or triple or whatever it if you wanted to freeze them (put waxed paper or parchment paper between the pancakes and put in good freezer bags, I just pop them in the toaster to reheat them) and have them for busier days.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?