.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Terribly Un-hip



Am I the only person who thinks this just looks like a red, silk bathrobe? I do not think it is worth the sale price, let alone the original price. I detest this whole 1970s fashion resurgence. Sure, it's doctored up, but it's there underneath all the nicer fabrics. You know that dress was originally made with a polyester knit. While I'm ranting, when is brown going to go away as a fashion color? Not as a basic, but as something that is supposed to be stylish, like those brown and hot pink and lime green and cream colored monstrocities that sell for over $100. I don't like the whole turquoise and brown thing either. And orange! and green! together with pink and red and all that swirly 70s stuff that looks like the decals off of the bottom of a cheap motel's tub or as though it was found on the back wardrobe rack of the Electric Company! Yuck. I know I am going against the grain here. At least I think so, since I see so much of this around.

I cannot wait for fashion to get back to any year between 1935 and 1964 Those are my favorite years for clothes, with the Regency period in England coming at a close second.

The fact that I hate modern fashion has actually saved me a lot of money. I buy second hand, or the stuff nobody else wants when it goes on sale, and everyone is happy. Now that I'm learning to sew, I think I can make some of this stuff that nobody likes for myself and my family.

Which leads me to my exciting news. I bought a new sewing machine this weekend. We saw that the Evil Empire had a factory serviced machine on sale with a 25 year warranty, it had more stitch capabilities than mine, and the service and repair cost of mine was at least the same price as this was new with a warranty, so I picked it up. I can't decide if I'll still get the other one fixed at another time, since it might be good for other projects, or for teaching the kids.

With school starting this week, I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I'm looking forward to doing so this weekend, if I can. After I make crabapple jelly out of the juice we made last night. And make lesson plans for next week. And make copies. And...we'll see.

Labels: ,


Comments:
You mean it isn't a bathrobe?
 
No, it is an evening gown. On sale for $70. The mind reels.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?