.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, August 06, 2007

Menu Plan Monday: August 6



I don't know if I mentioned that we will be homeschooling our children starting this fall. We are. The children are all so excited about it. Alexander and Dominic keep a countdown for starting, and they ask almost every day if we can't start now. So, I've given them several books about history and some science experiment books that they've been reading and working through this summer. This week, I am ordering some of the curricula that we will need for the year, we bought school supplies last week, and we're working on our schedule for school, housework, field trips, library days, boy scouts, sports and ballet. A good friend of mine really wants to join with me and a few other homeschooling families, so we can pool our funds to hire an art tutor or other such instructor for our children to learn those things together which we feel ill equipped to teach. It is a thrilling time here. I'll write more about our decision making later.

Last night, I saw another cousin of mine who I haven't seen in over 10 years. He brought his wife and two children and we went out to dinner. It was nice to catch up and meet his family. We took a walk on the docks while we waited for our table to be ready and afterward, we came home to eat a blackberry cobbler I'd made with blackberries that Rich and Dominic had picked. Dominic was the only child who picked diligently and filled his bucket so I could make the cobbler. It was very sweet to hear him describe it. He said he ate about 13 berries and then thought "Wait a minute! I came out here to pick!" So, he went to it, and just worked his one spot until his bucket was full.

Anyway, we stayed up too late talking, and the children all ran around the house, playing and laughing. They got along swimmingly, which was nice to see. Even though my cousin's boys are growing up in Qatar, they go to an American school, so it seems they speak as much Arabic as our children do. Though, they understand more of it. My cousin's boys look almost exactly like he and his brother did when they were children. It was striking and a little odd. His wife was delightful, and it was obvious that they were a good team.

Since we had quite a bit of the cobbler left, Rich and I had some at lunch time and the children had more for dessert tonight. It's time for them to go get me more, I think, so I can make another one. It's also time for me to start making blackberry lime jam. I think I will make a quadruple batch this year, so we have enough to last us the whole year after gift giving. Rich also has plans to pick crabapples for me again, so I can make jelly. Don't you wish you were on my Christmas list?


What is on your menu this week?

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Ranee,

I find your blog so interesting. I keep reading to find out about your family. Thanks for sharing.

What curriculum are you planning on using? Are you going with any home school groups nationwide?
 
That is so awesome that you are going to home school! I also want to home school my kids. We plan to send them to religious day school in the morning and then do secular subjects in the afternoon. This way they get Hebrew and religious education from the experts and we can teach math, science, art, etc. in a way that meets their needs and meets our approval. I think the education system world wide is horrid and all I can think is the line from Sleepless in Seattle, "I don't even want to think about they ARE NOT teaching in school these days!" I think that is so true!

Let me know how it goes and which curricula you decide to go with.

Can't wait to hear your reasons for home schooling as well.

And by the way, not only do I wish I was on your gift giving list, I wish I was at your dinner table every night!

Take Care,
Alina
 
Alina,

How do you know you aren't on my gift giving list? ;) I do hope to have something for you when you come in November.

I'll make an entry about our decision and about curriculum soon. I'm following a classical model, which is what we actually wanted in school anyway, but the closest classical school was two hours away. So, they will be getting math, writing, reading, grammar, Latin, history, science, art and music. The art will be Rich's domain, as I am abysmal at any artistic endeavor.

We are, of course, covering religion, but will do so within our other study. Penmanship will be practiced by writing scripture, creeds, prayers, etc. History will cover Biblical history as well. Study of science will include an awareness of God's creation and order. We have been doing the daily prayers with the children, and will continue that through the school year, and we will do weekly memorization.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?