.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, October 24, 2005

Adventures in Bureaucracy

I went in on Saturday to open a new checking account. The bank was offering some incentives and freebies that caught my interest, on a free checking account, and this way my yarn money would just be in its own yarn account. So, I go in with my ID, my proof of address, a couple checks and a little cash. I couldn't open the account because my driver's license has been expired for three months! I had no idea, just hadn't checked the date on it, and never received a renewal notice. I was even pulled over last month (no ticket!) and the officer didn't mention it.

So, we thought, Rich will drive the kids to school and we'll just go and pay to renew it (plus $10 for it being over 60 days late). But, no. Here in Washington, state offices like the Department of Licensing are not actually open on Mondays. Or Wednesdays. So, Rich is getting the boys today as well, and we will try again tomorrow.

On the knitting front, things are going much better. I finished one of the Aran Braid socks, and my surprise for my secret pal. I also picked up the sts on Amira's bolero and started on the ribbing. This is what her bolero looked like before that:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here is the sock, all by itself, kitchenered and ends woven in. I had to check the IK charts for grafting, like I always do, and needed to tighten it up before I tucked the end in, but it is seamless.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Also, here is the sample scarf in the shop on our mannequin

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And, a detail of the drop st pattern

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Obviously, I won't be posting any photos of the surprise until my secret pal knows who I am.

I hit the JoAnn Moonlight Madness sale on Friday (with my expired license) and picked up Designing Knitwear, the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and the Holiday issue of VK for about $32, including tax, using the 50% coupons and a 40% coupon. I had Elijah buy the second book with the coupon we got online and I bought the other two with the coupons from the mailer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?