.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Defending My Honor

I have apparently proven myself unworthy as a pre-K mom.

Dominic told me in the car yesterday that his friends at school hurt his feelings. Getting my defensive mommy gear on, I was ready to go to battle.

"What happened sweetheart?"

"They said your food was yucky."

He was the child of the day, and it was our responsibility to bring snack for the class. Since our kids like ants on a log (celery spread with peanut butter and raisins on top), and I was busy tending a sick baby girl, I just did that. We didn't have apple juice in the house, so I brought sparkling grape juice. That went over well, the ants on a log were a bomb apparently. Since we have been training the kids never to call food yucky, or make any other rude comments, I had a little bit of a problem on my hands. I asked him if he liked the snack, he did, so I said that was all that mattered. I said that it wasn't very nice of the kids to call the food yucky, but it didn't hurt my feelings if they didn't like it.

I have to say, though, that it is touching that he was offended on my behalf.

Anyway, since I haven't posted in a couple weeks, because of 40 people at our house over Thanksgiving, school stuff and the cold that has wiped us all out, I am now, belatedly posting the pumpkin roll recipe. It was originally posted on a.n. and I have modified it to run on the dough cycle of our bread machine.

1/4 cup warm water
2/3 cup milk, heated
1 cup cooked pumpkin
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1 T dry yeast

Put all ingredients in bread machine, and run on dough cycle.

When dough cycle is complete. Turn out dough and punch down, shape into approximately 16 rolls. I like to roll each piece into a log, then tie it into a knot.

Cover on baking sheets, let rise again, 30-45 minutes. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, brush with melted butter after removing from oven.

I make a double batch of this, usually. They are quite tasty and go really fast.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?