.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, September 24, 2004

Ribbit, Ribbit

Well, I know I'm not bringing the christening cap to our guild meeting. I'm frogging away, as I realized I needed to fix something, and then decided to change how I was doing the beads. I'll start it again soon, when I'm not quite as demoralized.

I have replaced that project with some quick felted bootees for Amira, because she needs more footwear, and her other bootees don't fit her anymore. I will probably make a second pair to give to another friend at her baby shower and might even make the matching hat and add a lovely blue and white ribbon to the sun yellow yarn.

I have decided to make a strata and a cheese blintz casserole for the brunch. The blintz recipe is modified from The Jewish Holiday Cookbook by Gloria Greene:

Batter:
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose white flour, preferably unbleached
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Filling:
2 (7 1/2 - 8 oz) packages farmer cheese
1 (15-16 oz) container part-skim or regular ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle over top

Accompaniments:
sour cream
plain or vanilla yogurt
applesauce
fresh berries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 X 9 inch baking dish.

In a blender or food processor (fitted with a steel blade) combine all batter ingredients. Process until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the container once or twice. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the batter, and pour it into the baking dish. Cook
for about 10 minutes, until set.

While the batter is cooking, combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and blend well. When the baking dish is removed from the oven, spread the filling over the set batter
layer, smoothing the top.

Give the remaining batter a quick stir to re-suspend the ingredients. Very slowly pour the batter over the filling, making certain that all the filling is covered. Carefully carry the baking dish to the oven so the layers remain distinct.

Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 35-40 minutes until the top is puffed and set. Remove casserole from oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting it into squares to serve. Serve with desired accompaniments.

I'll post the recipe for the strata soon. I wanted to make an apple cake, too, but I think I'll just make one for our coffee hour next weekend. This weekend I'm making chili to go over baked potatoes that someone else is bringing. I'll make the Bavarian Sugar cake for some other occasion, or just for us and we can eat it up on a Saturday morning.

Oh, just something I noticed again. Has anyone else noticed that blogger has a hard time reading the noon hour? Whenever I post around the noon hour, it tries to make my time stamp say that it is 1:--. It doesn't do this at any other time (though it may do it around midnight, but I haven't posted during that hour).

Labels: , ,


Comments:
What a fun site! Loving you from the west,
Sandy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?