Monday, February 02, 2009
Menu Plan Monday: February 2
Today is the feast day of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also called the feast of the Presentation, both titles refer to the same event. It is the commemoration of the presentation of Jesus in the Temple after the days of Mosaic purification were over for the Blessed Mother. Both East and West celebrate together today. There is actually still a service for the Churching of Women after childbirth. It is expected by Mother Church that a woman would take time away from church to rest and recuperate before returning again to be welcomed back and prayed over. This service is also called Thanksgiving of Women after Childbirth, though it is more commonly known as the Churching. It happens for a different reason than the Purification, but still commemorates the welcoming back of a woman to communal worship. Anyway, because it is a feast day, our daily office readings are different from the normal readings.
There are actually two feasts today, though they are related. It is also Candlemas, because the Presentation of the Lord is a feast of the incarnation and a type of epiphany, so in church the service would begin with a processional of candles. Because of that, the church began blessing all candles to be used for the year on this day. We will light our Christ candle during dinner tonight and serve sweet, filled crepes for dessert (they sort of look like a swaddled baby).
- Monday: Sausage, Bean & Kale Soup, Soda Bread, Gatayif
- Tuesday: Chicken, Spinach and Feta Saute with Cracked Wheat Pilaf, I use the Bulgur Pilaf recipe, but use cracked wheat instead of bulgur, which I actually like better, it stays chewier and heartier
- Wednesday: Eggs in Purgatory, Toasted English Muffins, Salad
- Thursday: Crockpot Pork Shoulder with Apples, Onions & Sauerkraut, Sour Cream Egg Noodles, Salad
- Friday: Vegetable Jalfrezi, Cous Cous
- Saturday: Dinner Away
- Sunday: Dinner Away
What is on your menu this week?
Here's what's on my menu this week ...