Monday, December 22, 2008
Menu Plan Monday: Christmas Week
This was the view out of our front door looking to the southeast yesterday afternoon.
There is no fasting during the 12 days of Christmas, though there are three meat fast days this week leading up to Christmas. However, Christmas day and afterward until the 6th of January, we will have no meatless days. We'll go back to our normal twice a week after that, until Lent, when we will have at least three meatless days a week, though we've been trying to increase that number each year.
- Monday: Pepper & Onion Quesadillas with Salsa, Oranges
- Tuesday: Potato, Onion & Feta Frittata, Salad, Oranges
- Wednesday: Bagna Cauda, Boiled Potatoes & Carrots, Toasted Bread Cubes, Salad (we ended up having something else Saturday, because of the weather and my having to be out in it until dinner time)
- Thursday: Garlicky Rib Roast, Herb Roasted Turkey, Gravy, Roasted Potatoes, Cranberry-Horseradish Relish, Green Beans/Brussels Sprouts (depends on if I can get to the store or not), Turnip Gratin, Triple Chocolate Cheesecake, Peppermint Ice Cream, Sugar Cookies, Gingerbread People, Jam Thumbprints, *Eggnog, Sparkling Apple Pomegranate Cider
- Friday: Turkey Tetrazzini & Rice
- Saturday: Roast Beef Hash
- Sunday: Not Sure. We are renewing our vows at church, and Rich may have something up his sleeve. Or we'll eat leftovers
What is on your menu this week?
I got this recipe from a friend on the internets. We make a double batch and watch it go. Using fresh nutmeg is a must. This is especially good with some kahlua.
3 pints Half-n-Half
1 pint whipping cream
1 1/2 dozen eggs (or the equivalent of Egg Beaters egg substitute)
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 cup sugar (varies to taste)
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 to 2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Beat eggs very thoroughly. Half pint of the whipping cream is whipped.
Combine all ingredients and blend well. Shake before serving.
This means that the roads are just wet soon after the snow stops and dry the next day.
Once I've had to drive through the snow, and that was ugly. But usually the worst part of snow in NY is shovelling my driveway.