Monday, May 28, 2007
Menu Plan Monday: May 28
Our Tongues of Flame Barbecue was a raging success, yet again. This is our third year hosting it, and it is a blast. We have our Pentecost service at church, and everyone heads over to our house where we cook meat and seafood over fire, eat, drink and are merry. People brought salads, mixed olives and vegetables, bratwurst, cheese bratwurst, corn on the cob, watermelon, ice cream, chocolate cake, I made brownies, potato salad and marinated the lamb kebabs, which Rich grilled, there were baked beans, rosemary raisin rolls and cheese and herb rolls, millions of kinds of soda, wine flowing freely.
One of our priest's sons really enjoyed the harissa I made at Easter, so I taught him how to make it, and he helped me put together a batch to serve with the kebabs. His folks took Dominic, Elijah and Amira home with them to be entertained by some of their kids and sent him and his older brother with us to help set up and clean, another boy from a different family from church also came to move tables and vacuum and clean up. They were a huge help to us.
We ate and ate, and played games, and told funny stories and blood and guts stories and laughed and ate and drank some more. A great time was had by all. We diced up some leftover brats and cooked them with eggs this morning for breakfast. Some of the leftover corn is going into tonight's dinner.
I meant to post earlier about the Thai Green Curry, but never got around to it. It is a simmer sauce I buy at Trader Joe's. It is made with real ingredients, and is inexpensive. I cook the chicken, dice it, sautee some onion in oil, add the chicken back, pour the sauce over it and simmer. It is great, and Rich who doesn't like cilantro, enjoys it.
- Monday: Mini-Beef Tacos from Trader Joe's, Rice, Black Beans with Corn, Peppers and Lime
- Tuesday: Margarita Chicken Burritos and Refried Black Beans
- Wednesday: Pasta Salad with Tuna, Tomatoes, Parsley and Capers
- Thursday: Roast Leg of Lamb with Roasted Potatoes, Carrots and Onions, Harissa, Harvest Grain Pilaf (I picked up a package at Trader Joe's and we're trying it) Salad
- Friday: Eggs in Tomato Cups, Potato Salad
- Saturday: Penne with Artichokes, Garlic Bread and Salad
- Sunday: Church Picnic - we're bringing Asian Meatballs with Sesame Lime Dipping Sauce
What is on your menu this week?