Monday, January 24, 2005
Secret Pal Survey Answers & a Thank You
SECRET PAL 4 QUESTIONNAIRE
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I am somewhat of a yarn snob. I prefer natural fibers, but do not look down on inexpensive yarns. In fact, I am a great shopper and love a bargain.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I just learned to spin last year, but haven't progressed much.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
4. How long have you been knitting?
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, a link is in my sidebar. Here is a link to make it easier: Amazon Wishlist.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Citrus, pear, melon/cucumber. I also like light florals, but I am pickier about those. I do not like most vanilla or cinnamon scents (prefer the real thing).
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
For chocolate, caramel and sweet and sour candies. Otherwise, I am mostly a salty and crunchy snacker.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I am learning to sew in exchange for teaching a girl at our church to play the violin. I love cooking, baking and preserving. I am a dancer, mostly ballroom and latin. I adore reading, I always have several books going.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like Big Band, Salsa, Salsa, Salsa, 80s pop, classical, some R & B, some contemporary Christian, really anything except rap, country, banda or vulgar lyrics. My computer can play cds, but I don't know if that means it will play MP3s.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Red. Deep, true red. Blues of various sort, think oceans, skies, flowers, anywhere from the green end to the violet end. Yellow from butter to lemon. Rose and raspberry pink, but not much else pink.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married and have four children; three boys ages 6, 4 and 2 and an almost 11 month old daughter. No pets.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
I'll stay out of the ethereal here. I'd love to have about 30 acres on which we could keep a good sized flock of laying chickens, an apiary, a huge kitchen garden, an orchard and angora rabbits.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Natural fibers, soft yarn, especially polwarth and merino wool, alpaca, angora and silk. I tend to knit between sport and aran weight yarn, except for socks, shawls and small projects for which I will use fingering or lace weight yarn.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I guess I'll say acrylic, even though there are some that I like, like Microspun from Lion Brand, because I'm so picky about it. I'm not a huge fan of most of the novelty yarns, but a little glimmer or something like boucle is fun. I do like loopy mohair, it and baby mohair are about the only mohair I like.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
As always, cables. Any texture knitting, lace or fair isle.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Pullovers, shawls and baby sweaters.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Cross Your Heart Gansey for myself, a cabled and pseudo-fair isle (it uses three colors in some rows) sweater for my youngest son, I'm finishing off a vintage lace christening cap for a couple who is having their first baby soon, and I'm getting my Pi Shawl ready to work on again as it was a UFO from last year.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I have found very few of which I have a good opinion.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
In general I prefer circulars. However, for projects like the lace cap, I like 10" straights.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
In order of descending preference:
Nickel coated aluminum
Steel or polished aluminum (hate the brushed aluminum which is scratchy sounding and grates on my ears)
21. Are you a sock knitter?
I have knit socks and plan to knit more, but I am not a rabid sockster.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mother taught me how to cast on and knit and purl while my teachers were on strike when I was in the 5th grade. She couldn't remember how to cast off or anything except basic knit/purl, so she brought me to a friend of hers who showed me how to cast off. The rest I learned from books and magazines.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
A baptismal gown that was meant for my second son, for a baptism that was almost 4 years ago. It's now planned for a grandchild.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Hmmm...Wallace & Grommit, Chicken Run (really most of the Nick Park stuff), Veggie Tales anything. As for animals, sheep, of course, though chickens are pretty close.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn and patterns, books.
I'm really looking forward to finding out more about my secret pal! I already have some ideas of what to send.